Advice and Referral Worker
Job no: 988061
Work type: Permanent (Full Time)
Categories: Community Services
- Perm full time - multiple role available
- Location: St Johns Park, New Town – Tasmania
- Make a meaningful difference to the lives of Australians in need
Life at Mission Australia
When you join the team at Mission Australia, you become part of a community who are determined to end homelessness and ensure people in need can thrive. United by our Christian purpose and values, we stand together with anyone who needs us, for as long as they need us. Find out more about us and our purpose.
The Strong Families, Safe Kids, Advice and Referral Line is a contact point for people seeking information, advice and assistance if they have concerns about a child, young person and their family. The service provides information and advice about service options and other approaches for responding to the needs of children and families. When a child and their family need assistance the service may provide this through referral to another service, or in some circumstances if a child or young person is considered to be at risk, the service may refer the matter to the Child Safety Service.
Your key responsibilities will be to:
- Conduct well-being and safety conversations to identify the most appropriate response regarding the best interests of the child or young person
- Provide information and advice in relation to service options and other approaches to support the child, young person and their family
- Provide strengths-based approach when working with the family and their networks
- Assist in creating a clearer understanding with callers in relation to the difficulties they may be facing
- Activate a strengths-based response where a child is considered to be at risk
Requirements for Success
- A Bachelor of Social Work or a Diploma of Community Welfare Work or other tertiary qualifications at Diploma or above level
- Demonstrated experience in engaging and working therapeutically with children, young people and families.
- Establish rapport quickly and to develop and maintain professional relationships with clients and stakeholders
- Draw upon relevant information, including alternate points of view and legislative requirements, to logically assess and analyse a situation, and utilise sound professional judgement to decide the best way forward
- Ability to confidently present both written and verbal information, whilst seeking to respectfully understand a variety of stakeholder needs and tailor communication style and messages accordingly, even in complex and difficult circumstances.
Before starting work with us, you will need to undertake a national police history check, qualifications and referee checks, and have a clearance to work with children/vulnerable people.
Our innovative and inclusive culture will ensure you feel valued at Mission Australia as you help Australians in need and develop in your career.
We’re committed to the safety and wellbeing of each other and the people we serve.
We recognise and respect diversity. So, whoever you are, if you’re skilled and actively support our purpose and values, you would be welcome at Mission Australia.
Find out more about a career with Mission Australia.
If you have a disability and need support, please email email@example.com.
- Rewarding work – every day you know you’re making a real difference
- Not-for-profit salary packaging, reducing your tax (details via AccessPay)
- Generous discounts with health insurance and major retailers
- Free external, confidential counselling and access to chaplaincy support.
How to apply
View the Advice and Referral Worker PD.pdf and click “Apply now”. We will respond to your application.
Applications are shortlisted as they are received. Please apply as soon as possible to be considered. Thank you
Advertised: Tasmania Standard Time
Applications close: Tasmania Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now
Please be advised Mission Australia does not accept unsolicited resumes. Mission Australia will not recognise an entitlement to an introduction or placement fee unless the Agency has been briefed by a member of the Recruitment team on a specific position for which we have requested candidates. Note we are not considering additions to our list of Panel Suppliers.