- Full Time, Max-Term Contract until June 2022
- Location: Karratha
- Not for Profit Salary Packaging + Possible Remote Allowance
Mission Australia is a non-denominational Christian charity that has been helping vulnerable Australians move towards independence for more than 160 years.
Every day we support people nationwide by combatting homelessness, assisting disadvantaged families and children, addressing mental health issues, fighting substance dependencies and much more. We are generously supported by our funders, partners and tens of thousands of everyday Australians, who make the work of our tireless volunteers and staff possible.
Mission Australia is committed to keeping children and young people safe with zero tolerance of harm or abuse, and expect all our employees and volunteers to reflect this commitment.
Located in Karratha, the Pilbara Community Alcohol and Other Drug Service provides education, counselling and support for people with substance use concerns and works very closely with the local community. With client centred approach, you will assess the program suitability for diversion referred participants.
The provision of such support may require liaison with geographically dispersed populations and as such may require travel within the region.
Your key responsibilities will be:
- Conduct court based assessments of potential AOD Program participants
- Prepare advice for the court to consider
- Refer participants to attend Diversion Providers for treatment and support
- Develop quality relationships with a range of key stakeholders including community organisations, rehabilitation providers and other health professionals to allow for the effective provision of support and information to participants
- Manage and administer multiple cases/tasks in a coordinated, efficient, and timely manner
- Maintain and submit relevant documentation in accordance with deadlines.
Requirements for Success
- Relevant degree with at least one years’ experience or Associate Diploma with relevant experience or less formal qualification with substantial years of relevant experience or prior experience working within an AOD program
- Tertiary qualifications in community services, social work, AOD or related fields or willingness to obtain
- Experience with clients dealing with issues including homelessness, poverty, abuse, mental health and the use and misuse of alcohol and other drugs, and knowledge of support services available to address these issues in a Western Australian
- Counselling with experience working in the field of AOD
- A valid WA driver’s licence
- The ability to work in a remote small community
- Computer Skills – must be able to utilise Microsoft Suite – Word, Excel etc
- Ability to communicate with various stakeholders
Before starting work with us, you will need to undertake a national police history check, qualifications and referee checks, and have a clearance to work with’ children/vulnerable people.
Culture & Benefits
A career with Mission Australia will offer you rewarding experiences to make a difference to the lives of Australians in need. We have an innovative and supportive culture guided by our values of compassion, integrity, respect, perseverance and celebration.
To ensure our employees feel valued, empowered and celebrated we provide a range of employee benefits including:
- NFP salary packaging benefits reducing taxable income (details via AccessPay)
- Generous discounts with hotels, travel insurance and major retailers
- Free, confidential counselling services via our EAP
- Discounted health care with Medibank Private
Diversity & Inclusion
Mission Australia is an inclusive employer. We celebrate our diversity and strive to reflect contemporary Australian society and all the communities in which we work, in order to better serve our clients. We welcome and encourage applications from Women, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, Culturally and Linguistically Diverse people, People with Disability, Sexually and Gender Diverse people, people with lived experience of adversity and from people of all ages.
As such, if you require any adjustments to submit your application, we invite you to get in touch via email firstname.lastname@example.org
To be considered for this opportunity, please click ‘Apply for this job’ and send your cover letter and resume today. As a committed Circle Back Initiative employer, we will respond to your application.
For more information, feel free to view the Position Description here: Diversion Officer.pdf. For further information about working with us visit Working for Mission Australia.
Applications are shortlisted as they are received. Please apply as soon as possible to be considered. Thank you.
Please be advised Mission Australia does not accept unsolicited resumes. Mission Australia will not recognise an entitlement to an introduction or placement fee unless the Agency has been briefed by a member of the Recruitment team on a specific position for which we have requested candidates. Note we are not considering additions to our list of Panel Suppliers.