- Make a meaningful difference to the lives of Australians in need
- Mirrabooka, WA
- Max-Term Full-Time to June 2022
Mission Australia is a non-denominational Christian charity that has been helping vulnerable Australians move towards independence for more than 160 years.
Every day we support people nationwide by combatting homelessness, assisting disadvantaged families and children, addressing mental health issues, fighting substance dependencies and much more. We are generously supported by our funders, partners and tens of thousands of everyday Australians, who make the work of our tireless volunteers and staff possible.
Mission Australia is committed to keeping children and young people safe with zero tolerance of harm or abuse, and expect all our employees and volunteers to reflect this commitment.
The National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) supports people with disability to participate in and contribute to improving social and economic life, as well as provide certainty that people with disability will receive the care and support they need over their lifetime. The NDIS provides a number of ways to assist people with disability to exercise choice, including taking reasonable risks in the pursuit of their goals and the planning and delivery of their supports. One of the ways this is done is through Local Area Coordination (LAC). For more information, please visit https://www.ndis.gov.au.
As a LAC, you will work in partnership with the NDIA to connect with people with disability seeking to or continuing access with the NDIS. You will get an understanding of their needs, wants and goals and with that information, build a funding plan in line with the NDIA requirements.
Your key responsibilities will be to:
- Conduct meetings with NDIS participants, families and their carers
- Prepare an NDIS plan for each participant to support the achievement of meeting their goals and aspirations
- Provide information to participants, families and carers about the scheme and how to connect with providers
- Answer questions from people with disability, families and the community about the NDIS
Requirements for Success
To be successful in this role you will need to possess:
- Highly developed written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work in a fast-paced and ever-changing environment
- Participant centric approach with the ability to explain complex information
- Strong administration skills and the ability to prepare reports and documentation
- The ability to work in a highly regulated environment
- Ability to use computer-based management and recording systems
- Excellent organisational and time management skills
- Valid Driver’s License to use Mission Australia pool vehicle to travel to clients.
Before starting work with us, you will need to undertake a national police history check, qualifications and referee checks, and have a clearance to work with children/vulnerable people.
Culture & Benefits
A career with Mission Australia will offer you rewarding experiences to make a difference to the lives of Australians in need. We have an innovative and supportive culture guided by our values of compassion, integrity, respect, perseverance and celebration.
To ensure our employees feel valued, empowered and celebrated we provide a range of employee benefits including:
- NFP salary packaging benefits reducing taxable income (details via AccessPay)
- Generous discounts with hotels, travel insurance and major retailers
- Free, confidential counselling services via our EAP
- Discounted health care with Medibank Private
Diversity & Inclusion
Mission Australia is an inclusive employer. We celebrate our diversity and strive to reflect contemporary Australian society and all the communities in which we work, in order to better serve our clients. We welcome and encourage applications from Women, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, Culturally and Linguistically Diverse people, People with Disability, Sexually and Gender Diverse people, people with lived experience of adversity and from people of all ages.
As such, if you require any adjustments to submit your application, we invite you to get in touch via email firstname.lastname@example.org
To be considered for this opportunity, please click ‘apply’ and send your application today.
For more information, feel free to click here to view the Position Description: Local Area Coordinator.docx . For further information regarding working with us visit Working for Mission Australia.
Applications for this role will close on 16th April 2021, but please send through your application as soon as possible as shortlisting may occur prior to the close date.
Please be advised Mission Australia does not accept unsolicited resumes. Mission Australia will not recognise an entitlement to an introduction or placement fee unless the Agency has been briefed by a member of the Recruitment team on a specific position for which we have requested candidates. Note we are not considering additions to our list of Panel Suppliers.