- Full time 12 month contract | 35 hours per week (part time considered)
- Location: Sydney CBD | Initially working from home
- Make a meaningful difference to the lives of Australians in need
Mission Australia is a non-denominational Christian charity that has been helping vulnerable Australians move towards independence for more than 160 years.
Every day we support people nationwide by combatting homelessness, assisting disadvantaged families and children, addressing mental health issues, fighting substance dependencies and much more. We are generously supported by our funders, partners and tens of thousands of everyday Australians, who make the work of our tireless volunteers and staff possible.
Mission Australia is committed to keeping children and young people safe with zero tolerance of harm or abuse, and expect all our employees and volunteers to reflect this commitment.
This role will be reporting to the Head of Policy and Advocacy working within the Office of the CEO team. The focus will be to help develop, articulate and communicate Mission Australia’s (MA) policy and advocacy positions to shape and influence public policy. You will help to deliver the Organisation’s strategic direction of having “a courageous voice to advocate for whole of system change that will improve the lives of disadvantaged Australians.”
In collaboration with internal and external stakeholders, you will prepare policy positions and submissions to government on MA’s priority areas including homelessness, housing, youth and strengthening communities. You will also help develop MA’s position on broader social issues and government initiatives. Your work will draw on MA’s service experience and research resources to provide evidence-based policy responses.
Your key responsibilities will be to:
- Write public policy submissions to Commonwealth, state and territory governments
- Work with other Mission Australia staff to develop policy positions
- Undertake analysis of MA data sources to inform policy positions
- Collate case studies, knowledge of best practice and other evidence from MA service delivery teams to inform social policy
- Collaborate with other parts of the OCEO team including media and communications
- Attend and represent Mission Australia at informal and invited policy forums
- Develop effective relationships to engage in joint advocacy and policy development
Requirements for Success
- Relevant tertiary qualifications and extensive experience in a similar position
- Proven analytical skills relating to social policy
- High level written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills and capacity to work with a wide range of stakeholders
- Ability to manage time effectively and meet competing priorities and meet tight deadlines
- Working understanding of government policy, the not-for-profit sector and community services program settings
Before starting work with us, you will need to undertake a national police history check, qualifications and referee checks, and have a clearance to work with children/vulnerable people.
Culture & Benefits
A career with Mission Australia will offer you rewarding experiences to make a difference to the lives of Australians in need. We have an innovative and supportive culture guided by our values of compassion, integrity, respect, perseverance and celebration.
To ensure our employees feel valued, empowered and celebrated we provide a range of employee benefits including:
- NFP salary packaging benefits reducing taxable income (details via AccessPay)
- Generous discounts with hotels, travel insurance and major retailers
- Free, confidential counselling services via our EAP
- Discounted health care with Medibank Private
Diversity & Inclusion
Mission Australia is an inclusive employer. We celebrate our diversity and strive to reflect contemporary Australian society and all the communities in which we work, in order to better serve our clients. We welcome and encourage applications from Women, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, Culturally and Linguistically Diverse people, People with Disability, Sexually and Gender Diverse people, people with lived experience of adversity and from people of all ages.
As such, if you require any adjustments to submit your application, we invite you to get in touch via email firstname.lastname@example.org.
To be considered for this opportunity, please click “Apply”. As a committed Circle Back Initiative employer, we will respond to your application. For more information, feel free to view the Position Description Senior Policy Officer PD.docx. For further information about working with us visit Working for Mission Australia.
Applications for this role will close on Thursday 15 April 2021.
Please be advised Mission Australia does not accept unsolicited resumes. Mission Australia will not recognise an entitlement to an introduction or placement fee unless the Agency has been briefed by a member of the Recruitment team on a specific position for which we have requested candidates. Note we are not considering additions to our list of Panel Suppliers.