- Full Time, Max Term Contract until 30th of June 2021 (possibility for longer)
- Location: Berrimah
- Make a meaningful difference to the lives of Australians in need
Mission Australia is a non-denominational Christian charity that has been helping vulnerable Australians move towards independence for more than 160 years.
Every day we support people nationwide by combatting homelessness, assisting disadvantaged families and children, addressing mental health issues, fighting substance dependencies and much more. We are generously supported by our funders, partners and tens of thousands of everyday Australians, who make the work of our tireless volunteers and staff possible.
Mission Australia is committed to keeping children and young people safe with zero tolerance of harm or abuse, and expect all our employees and volunteers to reflect this commitment.
This is an exciting and rewarding opportunity where you will be responsible for planning and organising the preparation and cooking of food for all clients within our 40 bed residential rehabilitation facility for alcohol and other drugs. Responsibilities also include ensuring that clients are trained and mentored so that they develop basic cooking and kitchenhand skills that are linked to a healthy lifestyle.
- Ensure that a safe environment is maintained for all employees and clients in the kitchen
- Ensure that safety and hygiene standards are maintained within the kitchen area
- Support clients to prepare and cook nutritious meals and ensure that they are served at the pre-determined times
- Plan and order fresh foods and supplies required for the menu whilst working within the allocated budget
- Be responsible for developing innovative processes to create a learning and growing environment in the kitchen for clients.
Requirements for Success
- Certificate IV in Commercial Cookery is essential - Certificate IV in Training and Assessment is desirable
- Demonstrated experience working as a Cook with a creative flair and enthusiastic approach to cooking
- Knowledge and understanding of the alcohol and other drugs and mental health sectors will be highly regarded
- Highly capable in supporting and guiding employees and clients working in the kitchen
- Possess integrity, kindness, empathy and compassion towards those in need
Before starting work with us, you will need to undertake a national police history check, qualifications and referee checks, and have a clearance to work with children/vulnerable people.
Culture & Benefits
A career with Mission Australia will offer you rewarding experiences to make a difference to the lives of Australians in need. We have an innovative and supportive culture guided by our values of compassion, integrity, respect, perseverance and celebration.
To ensure our employees feel valued, empowered and celebrated we provide a range of employee benefits including:
- NFP salary packaging benefits reducing taxable income (details via AccessPay)
- Generous discounts with hotels, travel insurance and major retailers
- Free, confidential counselling services via our EAP
- Discounted health care with Medibank Private
Diversity & Inclusion
Mission Australia is an inclusive employer. We celebrate our diversity and strive to reflect contemporary Australian society and all the communities in which we work, in order to better serve our clients. We welcome and encourage applications from Women, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, Culturally and Linguistically Diverse people, People with Disability, Sexually and Gender Diverse people, people with lived experience of adversity and from people of all ages.
As such, if you require any adjustments to submit your application, we invite you to get in touch via email email@example.com
To be considered for this opportunity, please click ‘Apply for this job’ and send your cover letter and resume today. As a committed Circle Back Initiative employer, we will respond to your application.
For more information, feel free to view the Position Description. For further information about working with us visit Working for Mission Australia.
Applications are shortlisted as they are received. Please apply as soon as possible to be considered. Thank you
Please be advised Mission Australia does not accept unsolicited resumes. Mission Australia will not recognise an entitlement to an introduction or placement fee unless the Agency has been briefed by a member of the Recruitment team on a specific position for which we have requested candidates. Note we are not considering additions to our list of Panel Suppliers.