Case Worker - Domestic Violence
- Full Time, until December 2021
- Location: Nyngan, NSW
- Make a meaningful difference to the lives of Australians in need
Mission Australia is a non-denominational Christian charity that has been helping vulnerable Australians move towards independence for more than 160 years.
Every day we support people nationwide by combatting homelessness, assisting disadvantaged families and children, addressing mental health issues, fighting substance dependencies and much more. We are generously supported by our funders, partners and tens of thousands of everyday Australians, who make the work of our tireless volunteers and staff possible.
Mission Australia is committed to keeping children and young people safe with zero tolerance of harm or abuse, and expect all our employees and volunteers to reflect this commitment.
The Domestic Violence Enhancement (DVRE) program enhances existing service responses for women and children who are in unsafe housing, homeless, or at risk of homelessness, as a result of domestic and family violence. DVRE builds after hours support (including risk assessment, safety planning, case management and monitoring), intake, and increasing crisis and transitional housing options.
Your key responsibilities will be to:
- Respond to referrals of clients to the service from internal and external support services and conduct formal assessments of suitability for support.
- Undertake initial registrations for clients, including all necessary paperwork and application forms
- Ensure clients affected by Domestic and Family Violence are given support to develop an individual safety plan where required
- Support the urgent accommodation needs of clients who enter the service, including the use of the no wrong door referral and advocacy
- Provide ongoing case management sessions with clients and review progression against case plans and provide informal counselling as required
- Support a client centred approach to support client’s immediate and long term goals and needs within the provisions of the program
Requirements for Success
- Experience working in the community service sector, particularly with DV or Family work, with a good understanding of the impacts of DV
- Experience in case work - assessments, knowledge of local services and case planning
- Tertiary qualifications (Cert IV or above) in Community Services or a relevant field
- Interviewing skills and experience in the use of Motivational Interactions (favourable)
- Good communications skills both written and spoken
Before starting work with us, you will need to undertake a national police history check, qualifications and referee checks, and have a clearance to work with children/vulnerable people.
Culture & Benefits
A career with Mission Australia will offer you rewarding experiences to make a difference to the lives of Australians in need. We have an innovative and supportive culture guided by our values of compassion, integrity, respect, perseverance and celebration.
To ensure our employees feel valued, empowered and celebrated we provide a range of employee benefits including:
- NFP salary packaging benefits reducing taxable income (details via AccessPay)
- Generous discounts with hotels, travel insurance and major retailers
- Free, confidential counselling services via our EAP
- Discounted health care with Medibank Private
Diversity & Inclusion
Mission Australia is an inclusive employer. We celebrate our diversity and strive to reflect contemporary Australian society and all the communities in which we work, in order to better serve our clients. We welcome and encourage applications from Women, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, Culturally and Linguistically Diverse people, People with Disability, Sexually and Gender Diverse people, people with lived experience of adversity and from people of all ages.
As such, if you require any adjustments to submit your application, we invite you to get in touch via email firstname.lastname@example.org.
To be considered for this opportunity, please click ‘Apply for this job’ and send your cover letter and resume today. As a committed Circle Back Initiative employer, we will respond to your application.
For more information, feel free to view the Position Description here. For further information about working with us visit Working for Mission Australia.
Please send through your application as soon as possible as shortlisting may occur prior to the close date.
Please be advised Mission Australia does not accept unsolicited resumes. Mission Australia will not recognise an entitlement to an introduction or placement fee unless the Agency has been briefed by a member of the Recruitment team on a specific position for which we have requested candidates. Note we are not considering additions to our list of Panel Suppliers.