- Full Time, Max-Term Contract until June 2022
- South Hedland
- Not for Profit Salary Packaging + Possible Remote/Housing Allowance
Mission Australia is a non-denominational Christian charity that has been helping vulnerable Australians move towards independence for more than 160 years.
Every day we support people nationwide by combatting homelessness, assisting disadvantaged families and children, addressing mental health issues, fighting substance dependencies and much more. We are generously supported by our funders, partners and tens of thousands of everyday Australians, who make the work of our tireless volunteers and staff possible.
Mission Australia is committed to keeping children and young people safe with zero tolerance of harm or abuse, and expect all our employees and volunteers to reflect this commitment.
Located in South Hedland, the Pilbara Community Alcohol and Drug Service provides education, treatment and support for people with substance use issues and works very closely in the local community. With a strong client-centric focus, you will provide support for referred clients and their families to diversion programs, counselling and case management.
You will be responsible for the delivery of The Alcohol and Other Drug (AOD) Diversion Program, a court diversion program within the broader MHC WA Diversion Program, within the South Hedland Magistrates Court Circuit. The Provision of such support will require liaison with geographically dispersed services and as such will require regular travel within the region.
Your key responsibilities will be:
- Conduct court based assessments of potential AOD Program participants
- Prepare advice for the court to consider
- Refer participants to attend Diversion Providers for treatment and support
- Arrange appropriate referrals for clients to other services as required
- Pool Car is provided to drive to and from each court
Requirements for Success
- Certificate IV in AOD or similar (or willingness to obtain)
- Or prior experience working within an AOD program
- Counselling with experience working in the field of AOD
- A valid WA driver’s licence
- The ability to work in a remote small community
- Computer Skills – must be able to utilise Microsoft Suite – Word, Excel etc
- Ability to communicate with various stakeholders
Before starting work with us, you will need to undertake a national police history check, qualifications and referee checks, and have a clearance to work with children/vulnerable people.
Culture & Benefits
A career with Mission Australia will offer you rewarding experiences to make a difference to the lives of Australians in need. We have an innovative and supportive culture guided by our values of compassion, integrity, respect, perseverance and celebration.
To ensure our employees feel valued, empowered and celebrated we provide a range of employee benefits including:
- NFP salary packaging benefits reducing taxable income (details via AccessPay)
- Generous discounts with hotels, travel insurance and major retailers
- Free, confidential counselling services via our EAP
- Discounted health care with Medibank Private
Diversity & Inclusion
Mission Australia is an inclusive employer. We celebrate our diversity and strive to reflect contemporary Australian society and all the communities in which we work, in order to better serve our clients. We welcome and encourage applications from Women, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, Culturally and Linguistically Diverse people, People with Disability, Sexually and Gender Diverse people, people with lived experience of adversity and from people of all ages.
As such, if you require any adjustments to submit your application, we invite you to get in touch via email email@example.com
To be considered for this opportunity, please click ‘Apply for this job’ and send your cover letter and resume today. As a committed Circle Back Initiative employer, we will respond to your application.
For more information, feel free to view the AOD Diversion Officer PD.pdf For further information about working with us visit Working for Mission Australia.
Applications are shortlisted as they are received. Please apply as soon as possible to be considered. Thank you.
Please be advised Mission Australia does not accept unsolicited resumes. Mission Australia will not recognise an entitlement to an introduction or placement fee unless the Agency has been briefed by a member of the Recruitment team on a specific position for which we have requested candidates. Note we are not considering additions to our list of Panel Suppliers.