- Full time max term 12 month contract with potential to extend
- Location: St Johns Park, New Town – Tasmania
- Make a meaningful difference to the lives of Australians in need
Mission Australia is a non-denominational Christian charity that has been helping vulnerable Australians move towards independence for more than 160 years.
Every day we support people nationwide by combatting homelessness, assisting disadvantaged families and children, addressing mental health issues, fighting substance dependencies and much more. We are generously supported by our funders, partners and tens of thousands of everyday Australians, who make the work of our tireless volunteers and staff possible.
Mission Australia is committed to keeping children and young people safe with zero tolerance of harm or abuse, and expect all our employees and volunteers to reflect this commitment.
The Strong Families, Safe Kids, Advice and Referral Line is a contact point for people seeking information, advice and assistance if they have concerns about a child, young person and their family. The service provides information and advice about service options and other approaches for responding to the needs of children and families. When a child and their family need assistance the service may provide this through referral to another service, or in some circumstances if a child or young person is considered to be at risk, the service may refer the matter to the Child Safety Service.
Your key responsibilities will be to:
- Conduct well-being and safety conversations to identify the most appropriate response regarding the best interests of the child or young person
- Provide information and advice in relation to service options and other approaches to support the child, young person and their family
- Provide strengths-based approach when working with the family and their networks
- Assist in creating a clearer understanding with callers in relation to the difficulties they may be facing
- Activate a strengths-based response where a child is considered to be at risk
Requirements for Success
- A Bachelor of Social Work or a Diploma of Community Welfare Work or other tertiary qualifications at Diploma or above level
- Demonstrated experience in engaging and working therapeutically with children, young people and families.
- Establish rapport quickly and to develop and maintain professional relationships with clients and stakeholders
- Draw upon relevant information, including alternate points of view and legislative requirements, to logically assess and analyse a situation, and utilise sound professional judgement to decide the best way forward
- Ability to confidently present both written and verbal information, whilst seeking to respectfully understand a variety of stakeholder needs and tailor communication style and messages accordingly, even in complex and difficult circumstances
Before starting work with us, you will need to undertake a national police history check, qualifications and referee checks, and have a clearance to work with children/vulnerable people.
Culture & Benefits
A career with Mission Australia will offer you rewarding experiences to make a difference to the lives of Australians in need. We have an innovative and supportive culture guided by our values of compassion, integrity, respect, perseverance and celebration.
To ensure our employees feel valued, empowered and celebrated we provide a range of employee benefits including:
- NFP salary packaging benefits reducing taxable income (details via Advantage)
- Generous discounts with hotels, travel insurance and major retailers
- Free, confidential counselling services via our EAP
- Discounted health care with Medibank Private
Diversity & Inclusion
Mission Australia is an inclusive employer. We celebrate our diversity and strive to reflect contemporary Australian society and all the communities in which we work, in order to better serve our clients. We welcome and encourage applications from Women, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, Culturally and Linguistically Diverse people, People with Disability, Sexually and Gender Diverse people, people with lived experience of adversity and from people of all ages.
As such, if you require any adjustments to submit your application, we invite you to get in touch via email email@example.com
To be considered for this opportunity, please click ‘apply’ and send your cover letter and resume today.
For more information, feel free to view the Position Description via Advice and Referral Worker PD.pdf. For further information regarding working with us visit Working for Mission Australia.
Applications close midnight, Thursday 3 December 2020.
Please be advised Mission Australia does not accept unsolicited resumes. Mission Australia will not recognise an entitlement to an introduction or placement fee unless the Agency has been briefed by a member of the Recruitment team on a specific position for which we have requested candidates. Note we are not considering additions to our list of Panel Suppliers.