- Full Time until 31st Dec 2020 | 38 hours per week
- Located in Griffith NSW
- Make a meaningful difference to the lives of Australians in need
Mission Australia is a non-denominational Christian charity that has been helping vulnerable Australians move towards independence for more than 160 years.
Every day we support people nationwide by combatting homelessness, assisting disadvantaged families and children, addressing mental health issues, fighting substance dependencies and much more. We are generously supported by our funders, partners and tens of thousands of everyday Australians, who make the work of our tireless volunteers and staff possible.
Mission Australia is committed to keeping children and young people safe with zero tolerance of harm or abuse, and expect all our employees and volunteers to reflect this commitment.
You will support Aboriginal people whose lives are severely impacted due to problem gambling. Deliver a flexible and responsive service to Individuals, their family and friends who are impacted by problem gambling.
This position will have a strong connection to the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community and therefore we encourage applicants who identify as an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander.
Your key responsibilities will be to:
- Develop and support an environment conducive to effective counselling and support
- Arrange appropriate referrals for clients within the service or to other services
- Provide grass roots healing, informal counselling, early intervention and education
- Participate in continuing professional development to enhance skills and knowledge
- Provide a range of community education workshops and activities
- Maintain accurate and timely reports to management on activities and client progress
- Participate in all required professional assessment and development programs
Requirements for Success
- A minimum qualification of a diploma of Counselling or equivalent
- Demonstrated experience in therapeutic interventions, assessment & case planning
- Understanding of the issues faced by Aboriginal Community and problem gamblers
- A positive and person centred approach
- A valid and current driver’s license
Before starting work with us, you will need to undertake a national police history check, qualifications and referee checks, and have a clearance to work with children/vulnerable people.
Culture & Benefits
A career with Mission Australia will offer you rewarding experiences to make a difference to the lives of Australians in need. We have an innovative and supportive culture guided by our values of compassion, integrity, respect, perseverance and celebration.
To ensure our employees feel valued, empowered and celebrated we provide a range of employee benefits including:
- NFP salary packaging benefits reducing taxable income (details via Advantage)
- Generous discounts with hotels, travel insurance and major retailers
- Free, confidential counselling services via our EAP
- Discounted health care with Medibank Private
Diversity & Inclusion
Mission Australia is an inclusive employer. We celebrate our diversity and strive to reflect contemporary Australian society and all the communities in which we work, in order to better serve our clients. We welcome and encourage applications from Women, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, Culturally and Linguistically Diverse people, People with Disability, Sexually and Gender Diverse people, people with lived experience of adversity and from people of all ages.
As such, if you require any adjustments to submit your application, we invite you to get in touch via email firstname.lastname@example.org.
To be considered for this opportunity, please click ‘apply’. For more information, feel free to view the Position Description via CSW L4 Gambling Coun Aboriginal Specific PD (5).docx. For further information regarding working with us visit Working for Mission Australia.
Applications close midnight, Monday 28 September 2020.
Please be advised Mission Australia does not accept unsolicited resumes. Mission Australia will not recognise an entitlement to an introduction or placement fee unless the Agency has been briefed by a member of the Recruitment team on a specific position for which we have requested candidates. Note we are not considering additions to our list of Panel Suppliers.