Youth and Family Support Worker Toowoomba
Job no: 986148
Work type: Max Term (Part Time)
Categories: Community Services
- 30.4 hours per week, 4-5 days (6 Month Max Term Contract)
- Location: Toowoomba region
- Make a meaningful difference to the lives of Australians in need
Mission Australia is a non-denominational Christian charity that has been helping vulnerable Australians move towards independence for more than 160 years.
Every day we support people nationwide by combatting homelessness, assisting disadvantaged families and children, addressing mental health issues, fighting substance dependencies and much more. We are generously supported by our funders, partners and tens of thousands of everyday Australians, who make the work of our tireless volunteers and staff possible.
Mission Australia is committed to keeping children and young people safe with zero tolerance of harm or abuse, and expect all our employees and volunteers to reflect this commitment.
The Reconnect Program is a community-based program that offers early intervention, counselling and practical support to young people aged 12 – 18 who are experiencing homelessness, or at risk of becoming homeless, within a school and/or outreach environment.
Your key responsibilities will include:
- Supporting local High Schools on-the-ground to deliver support services in Toowoomba, Gatton and Warwick regions (vehicle provided for work use)
- Managing close relationships through effective communication and stakeholder engagement including Government and non-government agencies, youth services, parents/carers and specialist services.
- Provide appropriate referral pathways where service does not meet the need.
- Providing intensive ongoing case management sessions including mentoring, informal counselling, outreach services, practical support and family mediation where required.
- Facilitate some small group training programs
- Maintaining and updating case notes other administration duties.
Requirements for Success
- Degree in a relevant field or tertiary qualifications ideally in youth work or community services
- Experience working with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples.
- Some experience supporting young people with high and complex needs
- Strongly developed communication skills and professionalism with stakeholder groups and the ability to relate to all in the community
- Knowledge and understanding of Child Protection legislation and mandatory reporting compliance
- Open and current Driver’s License
- Valid Working with Children Blue Card or ability to gain one.
As part of our Employment screening process you will be required to undertake a National Criminal History Check if you haven’t completed one in the last 12 months.
Culture & Benefits
A career with Mission Australia will offer you rewarding experiences to make a difference to the lives of Australians in need. We have an innovative and supportive culture guided by our values of compassion, integrity, respect, perseverance and celebration.
To ensure our employees feel valued, empowered and celebrated we provide a range of employee benefits including:
- NFP salary packaging benefits reducing taxable income (details via Advantage)
- Discounted childcare rates with participating centres
- Generous discounts with hotels, travel insurance and major retailers
- Free, confidential counselling services via our EAP
- Discounted health care with Medibank Private
Diversity & Inclusion
Mission Australia is an inclusive employer. We celebrate our diversity and strive to reflect contemporary Australian society and all the communities in which we work, in order to better serve our clients. We welcome and encourage applications from Women, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, Culturally and Linguistically Diverse people, People with Disability, Sexually and Gender Diverse people, people with lived experience of adversity and from people of all ages.
As such, if you require any adjustments to submit your application, we invite you to get in touch via email firstname.lastname@example.org
To be considered for this opportunity, please click ‘apply’ and send your cover letter and resume today.
For more information, feel free to view the Job Description via Position Description here. For further information regarding working with us visit Working for Mission Australia.
Applications close midnight on Monday 13th of July 2020. Please send through your application as soon as possible as shortlisting may commence before the closing date.
Advertised: E. Australia Standard Time
Applications close: E. Australia Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend
Please be advised Mission Australia does not accept unsolicited resumes. Mission Australia will not recognise an entitlement to an introduction or placement fee unless the Agency has been briefed by a member of the Recruitment team on a specific position for which we have requested candidates. Note we are not considering additions to our list of Panel Suppliers.