- Full Time, fixed term contract until 30 June 2021 (potential to extend)
- Location: Hobart
- Make a meaningful difference to the lives of Australians in need
Mission Australia is a non-denominational Christian charity that has been helping vulnerable Australians move towards independence for more than 160 years.
Every day we support people nationwide by combatting homelessness, assisting disadvantaged families and children, addressing mental health issues, fighting substance dependencies and much more. We are generously supported by our funders, partners and tens of thousands of everyday Australians, who make the work of our tireless volunteers and staff possible.
Mission Australia is committed to keeping children and young people safe with zero tolerance of harm or abuse, and expect all our employees and volunteers to reflect this commitment.
The Strong Families, Safe Kids, Advice and Referral Line is a contact point for people seeking information, advice and assistance if they have concerns about a child and their family. The service provides information and advice about service options and other approaches for responding to the needs of children and families. When a child and their family need assistance the service may provide this through referral to another service, or in some circumstances if a child is considered to be at risk, the service may refer the matter to the Child Safety Service for assessment.
In this role you will have overall responsibility for the health and safety of a team including coordination of human, physical and financial resources of a team within the Advice and Referral Service.
Your key responsibilities will be to:
- Provide day-to-day professional leadership and practice guidance, and facilitate a reflective learning culture within the team and broader service
- Work collaboratively with the leadership team, including the Clinical Practice Consultant and Educator, to integrate a strengths-based approach to practice
- Ensure that financial management, service delivery and administration standards are met
- Present information at the weekly review meeting in relation to children who have been considered to be at risk and who required assistance and monitoring of their safety
- Ensure that service objectives, procedures, legislation and priorities are met effectively and efficiently to secure desired outcomes
- Undertake critical and high level client contact, including dealing with complex enquiries, preparation of complex correspondence and provision of detailed information about the operations of the service
- Develop and maintain appropriate and effective relationships with government and non- government service partners in all regions
Requirements for Success
- A Bachelor of Social Work or a Diploma of Community Welfare Work or other qualifications at Diploma or above level, including case management/casework practice and supervised practical work placements
- A minimum of three years management experience in leading a small team
- Experience and knowledge in assessment and casework intervention with individuals and families who have complex needs, together with knowledge of theoretical perspectives that relate to child protection practice, with an ability to apply this to identify strengths, articulate worries and formulate a mutual understanding of the required assistance
- Demonstrated experience in engaging and working therapeutically with children and families and people with a disability
- Demonstrated ability to establish rapport quickly and to develop and maintain professional relationships with callers that maximise the participation of professional callers and community and family members to ensure the best outcome for children and families
- Capacity to draw upon relevant information, including alternate points of view and legislative requirements, to logically assess and analyse a situation, and utilise sound professional judgement to decide the best way forward
Before starting work with us, you will need to undertake a national police history check, qualifications and referee checks, and have a clearance to work with children/vulnerable people.
Culture & Benefits
A career with Mission Australia will offer you rewarding experiences to make a difference to the lives of Australians in need. We have an innovative and supportive culture guided by our values of compassion, integrity, respect, perseverance and celebration.
To ensure our employees feel valued, empowered and celebrated we provide a range of employee benefits including:
- NFP salary packaging benefits reducing taxable income (details via Advantage)
- Generous discounts with hotels, travel insurance and major retailers
- Free, confidential counselling services via our EAP
- Discounted health care with Medibank Private
Diversity & Inclusion
Mission Australia is an inclusive employer. We celebrate our diversity and strive to reflect contemporary Australian society and all the communities in which we work, in order to better serve our clients. We welcome and encourage applications from Women, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, Culturally and Linguistically Diverse people, People with Disability, Sexually and Gender Diverse people, people with lived experience of adversity and from people of all ages.
As such, if you require any adjustments to submit your application, we invite you to get in touch via email firstname.lastname@example.org.
To be considered for this opportunity, please click ‘apply’ and send your cover letter and resume today.
For more information, feel free to view the Position Description via PD - SFSK Advice and Referral Community Team Leader.pdf. For further information regarding working with us visit Working for Mission Australia.
Applications close midnight, Sunday 11 July 2020
Please be advised Mission Australia does not accept unsolicited resumes. Mission Australia will not recognise an entitlement to an introduction or placement fee unless the Agency has been briefed by a member of the Recruitment team on a specific position for which we have requested candidates. Note we are not considering additions to our list of Panel Suppliers.