- Full Time Contract until June 2021
- Location: Queanbeyan (Goulburn or Cooma base will be considered for the right applicant)
- Make a meaningful difference to the lives of Australians in need
Mission Australia is a non-denominational Christian charity that has been helping vulnerable Australians move towards independence for more than 160 years.
Every day we support people nationwide by combating homelessness, assisting disadvantaged families and children, addressing mental health issues, fighting substance dependencies and much more. We are generously supported by our funders, partners and tens of thousands of everyday Australians, who make the work of our tireless volunteers and staff possible.
Mission Australia is committed to keeping children and young people safe with zero tolerance of harm or abuse, and expect all our employees and volunteers to reflect this commitment.
The role of Financial Counsellor is helping those with gambling problems work through their financial issues. The role aims to result in a client’s financial problem/s being partially or fully resolved and a client being able to make informed decisions on the best course of action to resolve their financial difficulties. You are also responsible for improving a client’s ability to manage their financial affairs in the future.
Your key responsibilities will be to:
- To provide face to face and telephone financial counselling to individual clients and families.
- Individual and group advocacy and negotiations
- Liaise with financial institutions, government bodies and ombudsman to resolve issues
- Arrange appropriate referrals for clients within the service or to other services as required
- Develop caring, supportive and professional relationships with clients
- increasing the awareness of clients of their rights and responsibilities in regard to credit
Requirements for Success
- Diploma in Financial Counselling | Current Membership of FCAN
- Have completed or willing to complete gambling units of competency:
- CHCGMB501A – Work effectively in the problem gambling sector
- CHCGMB502A – Assess the needs of clients with problem gambling issues; and
- CHCGMB503A – Provide counselling for clients with problem gambling issues
- A valid and current NSW Drivers Licence
- Ability to deliver presentations on financial problems gambling issues
- Experience in the provision of general counselling in a community service focused environment
- Provide a range of community education activities on problem gambling issues and wider financial hardship issues
- Where appropriate co-facilitate with therapeutic gambling counsellors to raise awareness on effective interventions for problem gamblers
- Participate in a range of activities to promote the issue of problem gambling across the community
Before starting work with us, you will need to undertake a national police history check, qualifications and referee checks, and have a clearance to work with children/vulnerable people.
Culture & Benefits
A career with Mission Australia will offer you rewarding experiences to make a difference to the lives of Australians in need. We have an innovative and supportive culture guided by our values of compassion, integrity, respect, perseverance and celebration.
To ensure our employees feel valued, empowered and celebrated we provide a range of employee benefits including:
- NFP salary packaging benefits reducing taxable income (details via Advantage)
- Generous discounts with hotels, travel insurance and major retailers
- Free, confidential counselling services via our EAP
- Discounted health care with Medibank Private
Diversity & Inclusion
Mission Australia is an inclusive employer. We celebrate our diversity and strive to reflect contemporary Australian society and all the communities in which we work, in order to better serve our clients. We welcome and encourage applications from Women, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, Culturally and Linguistically Diverse people, People with Disability, Sexually and Gender Diverse people, people with lived experience of adversity and from people of all ages.
As such, if you require any adjustments to submit your application, we invite you to get in touch via email firstname.lastname@example.org
To be considered for this opportunity, please click ‘apply’ and send your cover letter and resume today.
For more information, feel free to view the Position Description via Financial Counsellor - Gambling.docx. For further information regarding working with us visit Working for Mission Australia.
Please be advised Mission Australia does not accept unsolicited resumes. Mission Australia will not recognise an entitlement to an introduction or placement fee unless the Agency has been briefed by a member of the Recruitment team on a specific position for which we have requested candidates. Note we are not considering additions to our list of Panel Suppliers.