- Full time contact till June 2022 | 38 hours per week
- Located in Coffs Harbour - Junaa Buwa! Program
- Not For Profit Salary Packaging benefits
Mission Australia is a non-denominational Christian charity that has been helping vulnerable Australians move towards independence for more than 160 years.
Every day we support people nationwide by combatting homelessness, assisting disadvantaged families and children, addressing mental health issues, fighting substance dependencies and much more. We are generously supported by our funders, partners and tens of thousands of everyday Australians, who make the work of our tireless volunteers and staff possible.
Mission Australia is committed to keeping children and young people safe with zero tolerance of harm or abuse, and expect all our employees and volunteers to reflect this commitment.
Junaa Buwa! Centre for Youth Wellbeing is a therapeutic residential rehabilitation program for young people 13-18 years. Junaa Buwa! is staffed 24 hours a day in Coffs Harbour, offering a stable and secure environment where young people can make positive changes in a supportive safe environment.
You will support clients in the provision of AOD and generalist counselling, in particular the provision of counselling services to address AOD and offending behaviours and other related issues within a residential rehabilitation service framework.
Your key responsibilities will be to:
- Provide individual counselling to young people participating in the program
- Facilitate Cognitive Behaviour Therapy Group Counselling
- Develop and implement drug education and psycho-education group work
- Organise and deliver X-Roads program across service with other staff
- Respond to mental health issues and provide assessment advice
- Lead ongoing counselling and support for young person thought to be at risk
- Assess the need for referral of individual young persons to the required health professionals
Requirements for Success
- Degree in Psychology or Social Work / Diploma of counselling
- Previous experience and proved ability to relate to disadvantaged young people, including an understanding of the impact of drug and alcohol misuse
- Current NSW driver’s license class C
- Highly developed written and verbal communication skills with strong interpersonal and problem solving capabilities.
Before starting work with us, you will need to undertake a national police history check, qualifications and referee checks, and have a clearance to work with children/vulnerable people.
Culture & Benefits
A career with Mission Australia will offer you rewarding experiences to make a difference to the lives of Australians in need. We have an innovative and supportive culture guided by our values of compassion, integrity, respect, perseverance and celebration.
To ensure our employees feel valued, empowered and celebrated we provide a range of employee benefits including:
- NFP salary packaging benefits reducing taxable income (details via Advantage)
- Generous discounts with hotels, travel insurance and major retailers
- Free, confidential counselling services via our EAP
- Discounted health care with Medibank Private
Diversity & Inclusion
Mission Australia is an inclusive employer. We celebrate our diversity and strive to reflect contemporary Australian society and all the communities in which we work, in order to better serve our clients. We welcome and encourage applications from Women, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, Culturally and Linguistically Diverse people, People with Disability, Sexually and Gender Diverse people, people with lived experience of adversity and from people of all ages.
As such, if you require any adjustments to submit your application, we invite you to get in touch via email firstname.lastname@example.org.
To be considered for this opportunity, please click ‘apply’. For more information, feel free to view the Position Description via AOD Counsellor JB 2020 (1).pdf. For further information regarding working with us visit Working for Mission Australia.
Applications close midnight, Tuesday 14 April 2020.
Please be advised Mission Australia does not accept unsolicited resumes. Mission Australia will not recognise an entitlement to an introduction or placement fee unless the Agency has been briefed by a member of the Recruitment team on a specific position for which we have requested candidates. Note we are not considering additions to our list of Panel Suppliers.