- Multiple casual positions available – 3 to 15 hours per week
- Location: Whyalla, Riverland region, and the Adelaide metropolitan regions (Northern Adelaide, Western Adelaide, Southern Adelaide and Fleurieu)
- Great role for people in existing casual/part-time employment or study and wanting to make a difference
Mission Australia is a non-denominational Christian charity that has been helping vulnerable Australians move towards independence for more than 160 years.
Every day we support people nationwide by combatting homelessness, assisting disadvantaged families and children, addressing mental health issues, fighting substance dependencies and much more. We are generously supported by our funders, partners and tens of thousands of everyday Australians, who make the work of our tireless volunteers and staff possible.
Mission Australia is committed to keeping children and young people safe with zero tolerance of harm or abuse, and expect all our employees and volunteers to reflect this commitment.
The Care Mentor Program is an initiative across South Australia that aims to support children and young people achieve a range of physical, social, emotional and educational outcomes.
We are seeking approximately 10 mentors to assist children and young people to build community connections and increase activities of their interest.
This role will allow you to build a trusted relationship with children and young people to develop their self-esteem and daily living skills. You will assist the young people in a variety of settings across the community.
Your key responsibilities will be to:
- Provide support and supervision to children and young people participating in the program, establishing positive relationships
- Work alongside children and young people to develop their day to day living, behaviour and stress management skills and to make positive choices
- Organise, facilitate and participate in recreational activities for children and young people
Mission Australia seeks to provide a high quality and person centred approach for all children and young people and will seek to match them with an appropriate mentor based on skills, experience, hobbies and interests in their geographical area.
Requirements for Success
- 18 years of age or older
- Certificate IV in Youth Work or equivalent or demonstrated experience
- Valid Driver's Licence (P2 may be considered)
- Demonstrated sound interpersonal and communication skills
- Current First Aid Certificate
- National Police Clearance
- DHS/DCSI Working with Children clearance
- Strategies for Managing Abuse Related Trauma (SMART) online training
- Safe Environments – Through Their Eyes Trainings or Responding to Abuse and Neglect – Education and Care (RAN-EC)
Before starting work with us, you will need to have a DHS/DCSI Working with Children clearance, have a National police clearance, qualifications verified and satisfactory referee checks.
Culture & Benefits
A career with Mission Australia will offer you rewarding experiences to make a difference to the lives of Australians in need. We have an innovative and supportive culture guided by our values of compassion, integrity, respect, perseverance and celebration.
To ensure our employees feel valued, empowered and celebrated we provide a range of employee benefits including:
- NFP salary packaging benefits reducing taxable income (details via Advantage)
- Free, confidential counselling services via our EAP
- Generous discounts with hotels, travel insurance and major retailers
- Discounted health care with Medibank Private
Diversity & Inclusion
Mission Australia is an inclusive employer. We celebrate our diversity and strive to reflect contemporary Australian society and all the communities in which we work, in order to better serve our clients. We welcome and encourage applications from Women, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, Culturally and Linguistically Diverse people, People with Disability, Sexually and Gender Diverse people, people with lived experience of adversity and from people of all ages.
As such, if you require any adjustments to submit your application, we invite you to get in touch via email firstname.lastname@example.org or contact Marion Yelland on (08) 8218 2801
To be considered for this opportunity, please click ‘apply’ and send your cover letter and resume today.
For more information, feel free to click here to view the position description. For further information regarding working with us visit Working for Mission Australia.
Please send through your application as soon as possible as shortlisting will commence before the closing date.
Please be advised Mission Australia does not accept unsolicited resumes. Mission Australia will not recognise an entitlement to an introduction or placement fee unless the Agency has been briefed by a member of the Recruitment team on a specific position for which we have requested candidates. Note we are not considering additions to our list of Panel Suppliers.