- Full-time, Max-term to 30 June 2021
- Location: Meekatharra, WA
- Not for Profit Salary Packaging Plus Remote Allowance
Mission Australia is a non-denominational Christian charity that has been helping vulnerable Australians move towards independence for more than 160 years.
Every day we support people nationwide by combatting homelessness, assisting disadvantaged families and children, addressing mental health issues, fighting substance dependencies and much more. We are generously supported by our funders, partners and tens of thousands of everyday Australians, who make the work of our tireless volunteers and staff possible.
Mission Australia is committed to keeping children and young people safe with zero tolerance of harm or abuse, and expect all our employees and volunteers to reflect this commitment.
Nyarlu Duwa, or Woman House in Wadjari, is an emergency accommodation service for women and children (if present) experiencing family violence. Nyarlu Duwa is acknowledged and respected as a safe place for women and children to visit, to stay, rest and talk with others.
We are seeking a Family Violence Support Worker to respond when women and children are at high risk or experiencing family violence. This includes assessment, information, referral and up to 72 hours emergency accommodation where needed to promote the safety, stability and wellbeing of vulnerable people and their children.
The successful applicant will be working in a team environment and be supported by the Programs Manager in Meekatharra. Mission Australia has a team of ten people in community and provides a number of services specific to family violence, family support and child safety, mental health, public tenancy, school attendance, grandparents raising grandchildren and emergency relief.
Your key responsibilities will be to:
- Respond to referrals from WA Police and/or the WA Health Department for emergency accommodation following an incident of family violence
- Conduct risk assessments and safety planning with families, which include police orders and violence restraining orders
- Schedule and conduct ongoing case management
- Provide advocacy, referrals, information and support to families
- Be available to be rostered for an on-call service to respond to families after hours
- Conduct outreach to outlying communities to support families in remote communities
Requirements for Success
- Prior experience working with families from a diverse backgrounds, ideally gained in a Community Services or Crisis Support setting.
- Knowledge of Child Safe requirements and compliance
- Ideally, a formal qualification in Community or Social Services but not essential
- Demonstrated experience engaging with and adopting a women’s focused and child safe approach
- Experience working within a regional or remote community
- Ability to network and develop effective working relationships at all levels of community
- Drivers Licence (Manual would be an advantage)
- Administration skills including computer literacy
Before starting work with us, you will need to undertake a national police history check, qualifications and referee checks and have a clearance to work with children/vulnerable people.
Culture & Benefits
A career with Mission Australia will offer you rewarding experiences to make a difference to the lives of Australians in need. We have an innovative and supportive culture guided by our values of compassion, integrity, respect, perseverance and celebration.
To ensure our employees feel valued, empowered and celebrated we provide a range of employee benefits including:
- NFP salary packaging benefits reducing taxable income (details via Advantage)
- Generous discounts with hotels, travel insurance and major retailers
- Free, confidential counselling services via our EAP
- Discounted health care with Medibank Private
Diversity & Inclusion
Mission Australia is an inclusive employer. We celebrate our diversity and strive to reflect contemporary Australian society and all the communities in which we work, in order to better serve our clients. We welcome and encourage applications from Women, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, Culturally and Linguistically Diverse people, People with Disability, Sexually and Gender Diverse people, people with lived experience of adversity and from people of all ages.
As such, if you require any adjustments to submit your application, we invite you to get in touch via email email@example.com or phone 08 9225 0453
To be considered for this opportunity, please click ‘apply’ and send your cover letter and resume today.
For more information, feel free to click here to view the position description. For further information regarding working with us visit Working for Mission Australia.
Applications close 11:55 PM Tuesday 25 February 2020.
Please send through your application as soon as possible as shortlisting will commence before the closing date.
Please be advised Mission Australia does not accept unsolicited resumes. Mission Australia will not recognise an entitlement to an introduction or placement fee unless the Agency has been briefed by a member of the Recruitment team on a specific position for which we have requested candidates. Note we are not considering additions to our list of Panel Suppliers.