- Permanent, full time role based in Ipswich – Monday to Friday
- Share your specialist knowledge in the domestic and family violence sector
- Engage with families to support and improve their wellbeing
Mission Australia is a non-denominational Christian charity that has been helping vulnerable Australians move towards independence for more than 160 years.
Every day we support people nationwide by combatting homelessness, assisting disadvantaged families and children, addressing mental health issues, fighting substance dependencies and much more. We are generously supported by our funders, partners and tens of thousands of everyday Australians, who make the work of our tireless volunteers and staff possible.
Mission Australia is committed to keeping children and young people safe with zero tolerance of harm or abuse, and expect all our employees and volunteers to reflect this commitment.
The Intensive Family Support service is an early intervention and prevention intensive family support service for families with children aged 0-18 who are at risk of entry into Child Safety Services under the Department of Child Safety, Youth and Women. Its primary purpose is to improve the safety and wellbeing of vulnerable children. Mission Australia provides this service in three Queensland locations - Inala/Goodna, Caboolture/Deception Bay and Ipswich.
Our team in Ipswich is looking for a full time permanent Specialist in Domestic and Family Violence to join them. Your passion to make a difference along with your superior experience in supporting families with high and complex needs will make you a welcome addition to this friendly and collaborative team. The role will promote sustainable change in family circumstances and functioning, resulting in a reduction in contact with the statutory child protection system.
Duties will include:
- Sharing your specialist knowledge and skills within the DFV sector to support and upskill your team members
- Engaging with families and collaborating with them to develop effective plans for long-term positive outcomes
- Undertaking case management including assessments, reviews, reporting and administration
- Developing and building effective relationships within the community sector, government and non-government services
Requirements for Success
With an already established career within domestic and family violence and specific knowledge in the child, youth and family sector you will be passionate about supporting families to strengthen the care of protection of their children.
The skills and capabilities you bring include:
- A background working in the child protection field, with specialist knowledge of domestic and family violence
- Acting as a subject-matter expert in the field of DFV and the capacity to share this knowledge and experience with other case managers in a peer-support environment
- Providing specialist consultation and support for escalated or complex cases as required
- Crisis management skills including the ability to quickly and effectively assess risk and safety with a DFV lens
- Case management from a strengths-based, trauma-informed and family-focused framework
- Ability to engage, establish rapport and work respectfully families with different backgrounds and different needs
- Strong administration skills – reporting, case notes and general documentation
- Exceptional communication, negotiation and influencing ability – able to relate to children, parents and other service providers
- Dedication to work within professional boundaries, integrity and ethical standards
- Great time management, prioritisation and ability to work within time-frames while balancing your case load
You will need to hold a degree in Social Work, Social Sciences, Psychology or a similar field; have a valid First Aid Certificate and hold a current Blue Card and Queensland Driver Licence.
Before starting work with us, you will need to undertake a national police history check, qualifications and referee checks, and have a clearance to work with children/vulnerable people.
Culture & Benefits
Our mid-sized team based from Ipswich are collaborative, supportive and enjoy working together to achieve positive outcomes for children and their families. Daily oversight is provided by a hands-off manager who encourages and empowers her team to share ideas, enjoy peer-support and a work within a consultative environment.
A career with Mission Australia will offer you rewarding experiences to make a difference to the lives of Australians in need. We have an innovative and supportive culture guided by our values of compassion, integrity, respect, perseverance and celebration.
To ensure our employees feel valued, empowered and celebrated we provide a range of employee benefits including:
- NFP salary packaging benefits reducing taxable income (details via Advantage)
- Generous discounts with hotels, travel insurance and major retailers
- Free, confidential counselling services via our EAP
- Discounted health care with Medibank Private
Diversity & Inclusion
Mission Australia is an inclusive employer. We celebrate our diversity and strive to reflect contemporary Australian society and all the communities in which we work, in order to better serve our clients. We welcome and encourage applications from Women, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, Culturally and Linguistically Diverse people, People with Disability, Sexually and Gender Diverse people, people with lived experience of adversity and from people of all ages.
As such, if you require any adjustments to submit your application, we invite you to get in touch via email firstname.lastname@example.org.
To be considered for this opportunity, please click ‘apply’ and send your cover letter and resume today.
For more information, feel free to view the Position Description Domestic and Family Violence Specialist - IFS - Ipswich.pdf For further information regarding working with us visit Working for Mission Australia.
For further information, please contact Joannah Hack on 0436 924 646.
Applications close at 12.00am on Monday 23rd December 2019. Please send through your application as soon as possible as shortlisting will commence before the closing date.
Please be advised Mission Australia does not accept unsolicited resumes. Mission Australia will not recognise an entitlement to an introduction or placement fee unless the Agency has been briefed by a member of the Recruitment team on a specific position for which we have requested candidates. Note we are not considering additions to our list of Panel Suppliers.