- Full time preferred or part time will be considered
- Professional development opportunities including group facilitation training
- Max Term Contract until 30th June 2020 with possibility of extension
- Level 4 Child & Family Support Worker - $37.14 p/hr
- Location: Based in Whyalla with outreach to Port Augusta
Mission Australia is a non-denominational Christian charity that has been helping vulnerable Australians move towards independence for more than 160 years.
Every day we support people nationwide by combatting homelessness, assisting disadvantaged families and children, addressing mental health issues, fighting substance dependencies and much more. We are generously supported by our funders, partners and tens of thousands of everyday Australians, who make the work of our tireless volunteers and staff possible.
Mission Australia is committed to keeping children and young people safe with zero tolerance of harm or abuse, and expect all our employees and volunteers to reflect this commitment.
The Family Mental Health Support Service (FMHSS) provides flexible, responsive, non-clinical mental health therapeutic support services to children and young people aged 0-18 years old and their families affected by, or at risk of, mental illnesses. FMHSS is delivered across the Whyalla and Port Augusta region, where you will be working within a multidisciplinary team of passionate workers.
We are seeking a passionate qualified Social Worker to join this exciting program in Whyalla and really make a difference with families in the community. You will use your knowledge and experience working with referrals including intensive, short term and group capacity building.
- Early intervention support for young people and families which include assessment and goal identification from which a family action plan can be developed.
- Participate in community capacity building activities for mental health promotion/education and community development
- Conduct regular outreach to homes, schools and suitable community locations to provide therapeutic interventions,
- Deliver parenting programs to the community including Circle of Security – Facilitator training will be provided
- Ensure that confidentiality, shared personal information and the rights of the individual and family are respected;
- Assist clients to transition out of the service, building their resilience and providing social and emotional support with mental health issues.
Requirements for success
- Relevant tertiary qualifications in Social Work, Psychology, Counselling or significant equivalent experience working therapeutically with children and their careers and families.
- Proven experience working within child safe frameworks and a strong understanding of mental health needs.
- Demonstrated ability to network effective relationships across the community (including vulnerable, disadvantaged and multicultural families).
- High level of written and oral communication skills.
- Proven ability to work both autonomously and co-operatively within small team environments.
- Current valid Driver’s Licence
- Working with children check
- Through their eyes - Child Safe Environments certificate
As part of our Employment screening process you will be required to undertake a National Criminal History Check. In addition, there is a requirement to possess a current Working with Children check or apply if you do not already hold one.
Culture & Benefits
A career with Mission Australia will offer you rewarding experiences to make a difference to the lives of Australians in need. We have an innovative and supportive culture guided by our values of compassion, integrity, respect, perseverance and celebration.
To ensure our employees feel valued, empowered and celebrated we provide a range of employee benefits including:
- Access to Mission Australia’s wellbeing program including a wellbeing day
- Professional development and training opportunities
- NFP salary packaging benefits reducing taxable income (details via Advantage)
- Generous discounts with hotels, travel insurance and major retailers
- Free, confidential counselling services via our EAP
- Discounted health care with Medibank Private
Diversity & Inclusion
Mission Australia is an inclusive employer. We celebrate our diversity and strive to reflect contemporary Australian society and all the communities in which we work, in order to better serve our clients. We welcome and encourage applications from Women, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, Culturally and Linguistically Diverse people, People with Disability, Sexually and Gender Diverse people, people with lived experience of adversity and from people of all ages.
As such, if you require any adjustments to submit your application, we invite you to get in touch via email email@example.com
To be considered for this opportunity, please click ‘apply’ and send your cover letter and resume today.
For more information, feel free to view the Position Description via LINK to PD. For further information regarding working with us visit Working for Mission Australia.
Please send through your application as soon as possible as shortlisting will commence before the closing date. Applications will close formally on 26th October.
Please be advised Mission Australia does not accept unsolicited resumes. Mission Australia will not recognise an entitlement to an introduction or placement fee unless the Agency has been briefed by a member of the Recruitment team on a specific position for which we have requested candidates. Note we are not considering additions to our list of Panel Suppliers.