- Permanent full time | 38 hours per week
- Located in Kings Cross | Reconnect - Inner City | Outreach
- Make a meaningful difference to the lives of Australians in need
Mission Australia is a non-denominational Christian charity that has been helping vulnerable Australians move towards independence for more than 160 years.
Every day we support people nationwide by combatting homelessness, assisting disadvantaged families and children, addressing mental health issues, fighting substance dependencies and much more. We are generously supported by our funders, partners and tens of thousands of everyday Australians, who make the work of our tireless volunteers and staff possible.
Mission Australia is committed to keeping children and young people safe with zero tolerance of harm or abuse, and expect all our employees and volunteers to reflect this commitment.
Reconnect is a federally funded and community-based program supporting young people between 12 - 18 who are experiencing homelessness, or are at risk of becoming homeless. Reconnect uses family focussed early intervention strategies to help the young person to stabilise and improve their housing situation, achieve family reconciliation, and improve their level of engagement with work, education, training and the community.
You will support young people and their families by using a variety of strategies such as counselling, family mediation and holistic case management.
Your key responsibilities will be to:
- Engage young people aged 12 -18 years who are at risk of leaving home or homeless
- Complete Outreach to our clients meeting at various locations accessible to the young person/family
- Undertake case work or counselling with young people and/or their families
- Develop and conduct a range of groups counselling and information sessions
- Contribute to a range of community development and capacity building activities
- Coordinate and support the exit of client and/or their families from the program
Requirements for Success
- Experience in working with vulnerable youth experiencing homelessness and other issues
- Relevant tertiary qualifications in community services, Social Work, Psychology, Health and human services etc
- Experience in working therapeutically in partnership with young people and their families
- Demonstrated experience in counselling and conducting outreach
- Current NSW valid Driver's License
Before starting work with us, you will need to undertake a national police history check, qualifications and referee checks, and have a clearance to work with children/vulnerable people.
Culture & Benefits
A career with Mission Australia will offer you rewarding experiences to make a difference to the lives of Australians in need. We have an innovative and supportive culture guided by our values of compassion, integrity, respect, perseverance and celebration.
To ensure our employees feel valued, empowered and celebrated we provide a range of employee benefits including:
- NFP salary packaging benefits reducing taxable income (details via Advantage)
- Generous discounts with hotels, travel insurance and major retailers
- Free, confidential counselling services via our EAP
- Discounted health care with Medibank Private
Diversity & Inclusion
Mission Australia is an inclusive employer. We celebrate our diversity and strive to reflect contemporary Australian society and all the communities in which we work, in order to better serve our clients. We welcome and encourage applications from Women, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, Culturally and Linguistically Diverse people, People with Disability, Sexually and Gender Diverse people, people with lived experience of adversity and from people of all ages.
As such, if you require any adjustments to submit your application, we invite you to get in touch via email email@example.com.
To be considered for this opportunity, please click ‘apply’. For more information, feel free to view the Position Description via Reconnect Position Description Template 2019.docx. For further information regarding working with us visit Working for Mission Australia.
Applications close midnight, Friday 18 October 2019.
Please be advised Mission Australia does not accept unsolicited resumes. Mission Australia will not recognise an entitlement to an introduction or placement fee unless the Agency has been briefed by a member of the Recruitment team on a specific position for which we have requested candidates. Note we are not considering additions to our list of Panel Suppliers.