- Permanent full time | 38 hours per week
- Located in Dandenong | Better Futures Program
- Make a meaningful difference to the lives of Australians in need
Mission Australia is a non-denominational Christian charity that has been helping vulnerable Australians move towards independence for more than 160 years.
Every day we support people nationwide by combatting homelessness, assisting disadvantaged families and children, addressing mental health issues, fighting substance dependencies and much more. We are generously supported by our funders, partners and tens of thousands of everyday Australians, who make the work of our tireless volunteers and staff possible.
Mission Australia is committed to keeping children and young people safe with zero tolerance of harm or abuse, and expect all our employees and volunteers to reflect this commitment.
Better Futures is a new way of supporting care leavers, engaging with young people and their support networks, including case managers and care teams early in their transition from care.
Better Futures aims to engage earlier with care leavers, supporting them to have an active voice in their transition planning, and providing individualised supports across a range of life areas including housing, education, employment, health and well-being and community connections.
Your key responsibilities will be to:
- Support young people in out of home care to successfully transition into independence
- Provide secondary consultation to care teams, lending expertise to the transition planning process
- Maintain holistic case support for young people post care
- Conduct periodic needs and strengths assessments to determine the appropriate level of support for each young person
- Engage young people in the development, implementation and review of their aspirations, goals and activities
- Develop, monitor and review Individual Support Plans, outlining the goals and activities
- Proactively engage young people in an outreach capacity
- Facilitate referral pathways, for young people to access community supports
Requirements for Success
- Relevant tertiary qualifications in Youth Work, Social Work or related discipline with at 3 years’ experience in their respective field
- Demonstrated knowledge Victoria’s Out of Home Care and Leaving Care systems
- Experience in report writing, financial record keeping and data analysis
- A positive and person-centred approach with a strong guiding belief in the abilities and capacity of participants to change their circumstances and to build sustainable lives
Culture & Benefits
A career with Mission Australia will offer you rewarding experiences to make a difference to the lives of Australians in need. We have an innovative and supportive culture guided by our values of compassion, integrity, respect, perseverance and celebration.
To ensure our employees feel valued, empowered and celebrated we provide a range of employee benefits including:
- NFP salary packaging benefits reducing taxable income (details via Advantage)
- Generous discounts with hotels, travel insurance and major retailers
- Free, confidential counselling services via our EAP
- Discounted health care with Medibank Private
Diversity & Inclusion
Mission Australia is an inclusive employer. We celebrate our diversity and strive to reflect contemporary Australian society and all the communities in which we work, in order to better serve our clients. We welcome and encourage applications from Women, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, Culturally and Linguistically Diverse people, People with Disability, Sexually and Gender Diverse people, people with lived experience of adversity and from people of all ages.
As such, if you require any adjustments to submit your application, we invite you to get in touch via email email@example.com.
To be considered for this opportunity, please click ‘apply’. For more information, feel free to view the Position Description via BF PD June 2019 (2).docx. For further information regarding working with us visit Working for Mission Australia.
Applications close midnight, Sunday 20 October 2019.
Please be advised Mission Australia does not accept unsolicited resumes. Mission Australia will not recognise an entitlement to an introduction or placement fee unless the Agency has been briefed by a member of the Recruitment team on a specific position for which we have requested candidates. Note we are not considering additions to our list of Panel Suppliers.