- Leading Safety for this large National Not for Profit
- Reporting to the Executive, People & Culture
- CBD location with regular interstate and intrastate travel
Mission Australia is a non-denominational Christian charity that has been helping vulnerable Australians move towards independence for more than 160 years.
Every day we support people nationwide by combatting homelessness, assisting disadvantaged families and children, addressing mental health issues, fighting substance dependencies and much more.
Mission Australia is committed to the safety and wellbeing of every vulnerable person who engages with our services including children and young people. We're generously supported by our funders, partners and tens of thousands of everyday Australians, who make the work of our tireless volunteers and staff possible.
This key leadership role will be responsible for providing high level expert advice and assist our teams in driving best practice safety across the business. You will be responsible for leading a small team of advisors and ensuring we implement strategies and processes that create a sustainably safe workplace for our staff and volunteers across Australia.
Your key responsibilities will be to:
- Lead and manage a high quality small team of safety professionals to provide advice and support to our 3000 paid staff and over 1200 volunteers across Australia.
- Plan implement, monitor and evaluate existing WHS services and systems and projects.
- Oversee and the delivery of WHS training and education programs
- Provide high level strategic advice on WHS, legislative and regulatory requirements for the business.
- Review and develop relevant policies and procedures to improve health and safety and wellbeing outcomes for the organisation on a risk based analysis.
- Coordinate reporting on WHS including identification of lead and lag indicators, trends and patterns regarding incidents and hazards across programs and ensure both board and executive team are informed of any strategic changes.
- Support and develop managers in understanding their responsibility to ensure both the safety and rehabilitation of their workers.
- Management of the Workers Compensation renewal cycle and insurance renewals across Mission Australia.
- Management of WHS budget
Requirements for Success
- Tertiary qualifications in Workplace Health and Safety or related discipline
- Extensive knowledge of Work Health & Safety and injury management legislation nationally
- Extensive experience in leading and developing teams and growing a strong safety culture
- Have a strong demonstrated experience in collaborating and partnering safety within the business
- Proven experience in supporting a strong safety culture with a focus on continuous improvement
- Strong people leadership experience
- Excellent communicator and senior influencer
Before starting work with MA, you will need to undertake a national police history check, referee checks, and have a clearance to work with children/vulnerable people.
Culture & Benefits
A career with Mission Australia will offer you rewarding experiences to make a difference to the lives of Australians in need. We have an innovative and supportive culture guided by our values of compassion, integrity, respect, perseverance and celebration.
To ensure our employees feel valued, empowered and celebrated we provide a range of employee benefits including:
- NFP salary packaging benefits reducing taxable income (details via Advantage)
- Generous discounts with hotels, travel insurance and major retailers
- Free, confidential counselling services via our EAP
- Discounted health care with Medibank Private
Diversity & Inclusion
Mission Australia is an inclusive employer. We celebrate our diversity and strive to reflect contemporary Australian society and all the communities in which we work, in order to better serve our clients. We welcome and encourage applications from Women, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, Culturally and Linguistically Diverse people, People with Disability, Sexually and Gender Diverse people, people with lived experience of adversity and from people of all ages.
As such, if you require any adjustments to submit your application, we invite you to get in touch via email firstname.lastname@example.org
To be considered for this opportunity, please click ‘apply’ and send your cover letter and resume today.
For more information, feel free to view the Position Description PD_Manager Health Safety Wellbeing.pdf For further information regarding working with us visit Working for Mission Australia.
Applications close midnight, 20th September 2019. Please send through your application as soon as possible as shortlisting will commence before the closing date.
Please be advised Mission Australia does not accept unsolicited resumes. Mission Australia will not recognise an entitlement to an introduction or placement fee unless the Agency has been briefed by a member of the Recruitment team on a specific position for which we have requested candidates. Note we are not considering additions to our list of Panel Suppliers.