- Full Time, Fixed Term position until end February 2020
- Location: Orange
- Make a meaningful difference to the lives of Australians in need
Competitive salary and salary packaging benefits
Mission Australia is a non-denominational Christian charity that has been helping vulnerable Australians move towards independence for more than 160 years.
Every day we support people nationwide by combatting homelessness, assisting disadvantaged families and children, addressing mental health issues, fighting substance dependencies and much more.
Mission Australia is committed to the safety and wellbeing of every vulnerable person who engages with our services including children and young people. We're generously supported by our funders, partners and tens of thousands of everyday Australians, who make the work of our tireless volunteers and staff possible.
In this role, you will provide support and mentoring to people living with a mental illness who are patients at Bloomfield Hospital. In addition, you will also provide peer support, individually and in small groups, to meet the needs of consumers, and/ or carers and to role model wellbeing, hope and recovery.
Your key responsibilities will include:
- Respond to referrals from internal and external support services, conducting over the phone and formal face to face assessments of suitability for support
- Undertake initial assessment for clients
- Work with clients to create individual recovery plans including referral to supplementary services as needed
- Conduct group activities for clients where necessary
- Develop an effective working relationship with local Mental Health and other relevant government and non-government agencies
Requirements for Success
To succeed in this role, you will need to possess:
- Ideally qualifications in a related discipline
- Possess lived experience of the Mental Health Service System
- Previous experience working in a hospital setting, motivating and engaging clients who demonstrate challenging behaviours at various stages of their recovery journey
- Experience working as part of a multi-disciplinary team
- Computer literate in a windows environment
- Current and valid Drivers’ Licence
Before starting work with us, you will need to undertake a national police history check, referee checks, and have a clearance to work with children/vulnerable people.
Culture & Benefits
A career with Mission Australia will offer you rewarding experiences to make a difference to the lives of Australians in need. We have an innovative and supportive culture guided by our values of compassion, integrity, respect, perseverance and celebration.
To ensure our employees feel valued, empowered and celebrated we provide a range of employee benefits including:
- NFP salary packaging benefits reducing taxable income (details via Advantage)
- Generous discounts with hotels, travel insurance and major retailers
- Free, confidential counselling services via our EAP
- Discounted health care with Medibank Private
Diversity & Inclusion
Mission Australia is an inclusive employer. We celebrate our diversity and strive to reflect contemporary Australian society and all the communities in which we work, in order to better serve our clients. We welcome and encourage applications from Women, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, Culturally and Linguistically Diverse people, People with Disability, Sexually and Gender Diverse people, people with lived experience of adversity and from people of all ages.
As such, if you require any adjustments to submit your application, we invite you to get in touch via email email@example.com. For more information, please contact Elisha Hayton – (02) 6809 9414 or firstname.lastname@example.org
To be considered for this opportunity, please click ‘apply’ and send your cover letter and resume today.
For more information, feel free to view the Position Description - Peer Support Worker - Orange - PD.docx. For further information regarding working with us visit Working for Mission Australia.
Applications close midnight, Tuesday, 24th September 2019.
Please be advised Mission Australia does not accept unsolicited resumes. Mission Australia will not recognise an entitlement to an introduction or placement fee unless the Agency has been briefed by a member of the Recruitment team on a specific position for which we have requested candidates. Note we are not considering additions to our list of Panel Suppliers.