- Full Time, Fixed Term position until 30 June 2020 (part-time considered)
- Location: Mount Barker (with regular outreach work)
- Make a meaningful difference to the lives of Australians in need
Competitive salary and salary packaging benefits
Mission Australia is a non-denominational Christian charity that has been helping vulnerable Australians move towards independence for more than 160 years.
Every day we support people nationwide by combatting homelessness, assisting disadvantaged families and children, addressing mental health issues, fighting substance dependencies and much more.
Mission Australia is committed to the safety and wellbeing of every vulnerable person who engages with our services including children and young people. We're generously supported by our funders, partners and tens of thousands of everyday Australians, who make the work of our tireless volunteers and staff possible.
The National Disability Insurance Agency (NDIA) has been established by the Australian Government to Launch the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS). The Agency is working with the Commonwealth and State and Territory governments to ensure improved support for people, their families and carers, and to deliver the first stages of the NDIS.
LAC services ensure that people with disability can be supported outside the Scheme by working with communities and mainstream services to build awareness and to become more inclusive of the rage of needs and aspirations of people with disability.
In your role as Local Area Coordinator, you will provide support to people with disability, working with participants and their families to build capacity, to exercise choice and control by supporting them to achieve their goals by building new community networks and accessing support and services in their community.
Your key responsibilities include:
- Providing information to members of the community and in particular people with disability about the NDIS, mainstream and community stakeholders
- Assist participants, families and carers in their understanding of the NDIS
- Engage in person centred planning and support, according to the goals and needs of individuals
- Support participants and individuals in accessing and participating in their community
- Contribute to building inclusive communities through partnership and collaboration with individuals and families/carers, local organisations, and the broader community
Requirements for Success
To be successful in this role, you will need to possess:
- Relevant qualifications in Allied Health, Disability, Community Services or similar
- Experience in implementing person centred plans for people with disability is desirable
- Demonstrated ability to conduct comprehensive safety and wellbeing assessments and assist people to set goals for change
- Demonstrated ability to motivate others and act as a change agent through strengths based, person centred practice
- A strong understanding of the Disability, Child, Youth and Family Services sector
- Understanding and appreciation of cultural diversity within the community
- First Aid Certificate, or be willing to obtain one
- Child Safe Environment Certificate, or be willing to obtain one
Before starting work with us, you will need to undertake a national police history check, referee checks, and have a clearance to work with children/vulnerable people.
Culture & Benefits
A career with Mission Australia will offer you rewarding experiences to make a difference to the lives of Australians in need. We have an innovative and supportive culture guided by our values of compassion, integrity, respect, perseverance and celebration.
To ensure our employees feel valued, empowered and celebrated we provide a range of employee benefits including:
- NFP salary packaging benefits reducing taxable income (details via Advantage)
- Generous discounts with hotels, travel insurance and major retailers
- Free, confidential counselling services via our EAP
- Discounted health care with Medibank Private
Diversity & Inclusion
Mission Australia is an inclusive employer. We celebrate our diversity and strive to reflect contemporary Australian society and all the communities in which we work, in order to better serve our clients. We welcome and encourage applications from Women, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, Culturally and Linguistically Diverse people, People with Disability, Sexually and Gender Diverse people, people with lived experience of adversity and from people of all ages.
As such, if you require any adjustments to submit your application, we invite you to get in touch via email firstname.lastname@example.org.
To be considered for this opportunity, please click ‘apply’ and send your cover letter and resume today.
For more information, feel free to view the Position Description - LAC Local Area Coordinator - PD.pdf. For further information regarding working with us visit Working for Mission Australia.
Applications close midnight, Wednesday, 25th September 2019.
Please be advised Mission Australia does not accept unsolicited resumes. Mission Australia will not recognise an entitlement to an introduction or placement fee unless the Agency has been briefed by a member of the Recruitment team on a specific position for which we have requested candidates. Note we are not considering additions to our list of Panel Suppliers.